Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bike Check: Ryan gets Gears and Brakes.
























































































So, this post has been in the works for some time.
I referenced the build in an earlier post when I
took shipment of the group that I spec'd for the
build. The reason for my hesitation was the fact
that the bike had not been released yet. The frame
set is a test frame of the 3 series Madone which
is Trek's new entry level carbon offering. The neat
thing that sets the bike apart from other models
are the fender and rack mount bosses on the drop
outs. I built the bike for RAGBRAI and have since
put roughly 2000 (hard) miles on it, which included
(but are not limited to) getting airborne off of a
crashed pace line member, off roading into a ditch
and mashing up a 19% grade for a mile in my big
ring (Somehow the bike and my kneecaps held
together for that event).

Working at Trek has given me the opportunity to
ride some extremely expensive high-end road bikes.
While I would be lying to say that I have no desire to
own said high end road bikes, the 3 series Madone was
the perfect entry into carbon/road/geared bikes. The
Sram group had performed flawlessly, the frame has
taken my abuse in stride and has even gotten me into
the exciting world of lycra.

No comments:

Post a Comment