Saturday, March 7, 2009

Kevin























So, this guy just comes up to me while
I am waiting for a light to change. His
english is remarkable, so I oblige him
with some conversation. Turns out he
is an art student in Beijing and his class
is showcasing (selling) their artwork at
a nearby location. Going against everything
my parents ever told me about strangers,
I follow him to his little display thing. It 
was pretty alright, for being Chinese art
it was kind of cool. He took me one by one
to each piece and explained to me what it
represented in Chinese culture. Apparently
95% of anything your paint on a scroll means
long life and prosperity. He showed me a 
piece made by his instructor that was painted
completely by fingernail.  It was educational to
say the least so at the end when he asked me 
if I wanted to buy anything I felt partially 
obligated to after the 30 minute art lesson. 
I asked Kevin which were his, so I picked out
the ones that were lovey dovey to give to 
Fiona when I get back. It was inexpensive,
though I probably could have gotten the 
same thing cheaper at the China Store in
the Great Lakes Crossing mall, but I would
not have gotten to talk with the artist and 
take his picture.

I initially asked him if I could take his picture 
he said no, so part of the deal was that he let
take a pic of him. So, this is Kevin.

In hindsight, I am really glad he did not just 
lead me to some room to mug me and steal
all of my money and organs.

1 comment:

  1. But rape, oh man that would have been sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete