Monday, February 16, 2009

Signage













































I feel one of the things that interests
me most so far are signs. How information
is communicated. Shanghai is supposed
to be an international city and while
in some places there are shimmering
rays of hope, most places yourself 
stuck. I sometimes wish that I could
learn written mandarin and not be 
such an american with my "speak
english or else" mentality. After speaking
with several Chinese natives at work, 
I learned that there are Characters
that even as adults, the Chinese people
cannot read. Universal signage is the
only thing keeping me from getting
lost and it is sparse to say the least.

2 comments:

  1. i learned that too.

    where do you have to go that would ever get you lost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so so so so fantastic

    your writing is great too

    I can't wait for you to have a China photography show when you get back.

    ReplyDelete